Home > Ovum Donor Pregnancy > Birth of a Little Spark

Birth of a Little Spark

Wednesday, 3 August 2011
Evening.  While cooking dinner I realised I had much more pelvic and lower back pain and that my bump was a bit lower.

Thursday, 4 August 2011
4 am.  Contractions start.  They were sporadic and far apart at first, but between 6 and 8 am were consistently 10 minutes apart.  My husband stayed home from work; we still had tradies working in the house.

Mid day.  Contractions seem to have stopped, but I’ve had a ‘show’, i.e. blood streaked mucus.  I continue to get this, so phone the maternity unit mid afternoon just to let them know what has been happening.  I’m told to phone back later to keep them informed.

Early evening.  No more contractions, but more ‘show’.  I phone back the maternity unit as instructed and am told to come in just to be checked out.  Sparky’s heart rate is just perfect; I’m not having contractions.  (For the record I didn’t want to go in as I didn’t think anything was happening, but the nurse on the phone wanted me to.  She then was really annoying when I was there – she’s ask questions and not wait for answers, etc.  Glad this wasn’t when Sparky wanted to come as I wouldn’t have wanted her as my midwife!!)

Friday, 5 August 2011
Mid afternoon.  Regularly scheduled visit with my ob.  I told him what had happened the day before, and he checks on things.  Apparently I’m 3 cm dialated!  He does some sort of stretching thing or something and says he’ll probably see me at the hospital in the next day or so.  Just in case I don’t go into labour, he tries to schedule an induction for Monday morning, but the hospital doesn’t want to schedule one for that day.  So he tells me to go in on Sunday morning at 8 am for monitoring; he tells me to take a bag with me and he’ll meet me there.  It felt strange leaving his office without making a next appointment and knowing one way or the other Sparky would be arriving soon!  On the way home I have 2 contractions.

Evening.  Contractions pick up pace as the evening progresses.  Later in the evening they’re on average 7 minutes apart but getting more intense.  At 10 pm I ask my husband to stick the TENS machine onto my back.  We watch an episode of The West Wing then try to go to sleep.  I don’t get any sleep because my contractions are getting more intense.  At around midnight my husband phones the maternity unit so we’re coming in; I wasn’t sure if it was too soon yet but wasn’t in any position to argue.

Saturday, 6 August 2011

12:40 am  When we pull up in front of the hospital, there’s another couple waiting to be let in and obviously bound for maternity as well.  After my husband drops me off, I stay downstairs and wait for him while he parks; a nurse takes my things upstairs.  We’re shown to Delivery Suite 3 and left to our own devices for a while; it’s a busy night in maternity!  (Our midwife had already delivered another bub earlier in the evening; Sparky was to become the 5th born over that night – in a small hospital.)  I manage pain using the TENS machine and just trying different position.  Eventually we get a midwife, and she checks how dilated I am – only 4 cm.  She hooks me up for monitoring.  After half an hour she checks it and Sparky’s heart rate actually isn’t great – it’s quite low.  I stay on the monitor for another hour to see how he’s doing; the time keeps getting extended because he’s so active.  This was hard for me; it hurt a lot not to be able to move around to manage the pain – and the annoying thing was my contractions weren’t showing up much on the monitor (we were more concerned with trying to keep a trace on Sparky) so I felt like the midwife didn’t realise how uncomfortable I was.  No matter; keeping track of Sparky was more important.  After a good hour of results showing that Sparky wasn’t in distress, the midwife drew a bath for me (the delivery suite has a big corner bath as well as a shower; shower has abdomen-level shower heads – bliss!).  More and more intense contractions while in the bath; after a while the warm water wasn’t helping and I was feeling over hot so got out.  My husband put the TENS machine back on my back.

3 am-ish.  To discuss pain management options but needs to check how dilated I am: 8 cm!  So an epidural is out (fine with me!) and I can only have a small amount of pethadine if I want some.  I opt for that, gas, and continue with the TENS machine.  This next part was quite difficult, because soon I felt the urge to push with contractions, however the midwife wouldn’t let me.  My cervix hadn’t completely cleared the pelvic bone, so pushing at this stage could cause swelling, more pain, and a longer labour.  This was so frustrating I kept banging my head with the palm of my hand, which upset my husband because he thought it was pain.  Eventually I could push and that felt so much better!  Sometime in here my ob arrived.  Things weren’t too back until I got to the very end, when I only had to do one or two more good pushes and Sparky would be born.  Suddenly I was scared to: scared because the pain wasn’t that bad but I couldn’t imagine how much worse it would get; scared because it had been a long 5 years and I didn’t know what came next.  Apparently at this point Sparky’s heart rate went down again.  My ob put a ventouse suction thing on his head; he told me later it must have been more a psychological than anything else because it made me finally do more than half-hearted pushes.

6 am.  Eskil Magnus was born.

Apparently I just kept asking ‘Is he alive?’.  He was placed on my chest, and for the next hour and a half wiggled there.  My ob sewed up a tear.  My husband cried with relief that Sparky had arrived and that both he and I had lived through the labour.  Someone got us hot drinks, and we had some Daim chocolates.  Sparky wiggled on my chest; he even had a bit of a suck at a breast.  After an hour and a half with me, my husband held him for an hour.  We were given lots of time alone with him before his umbilical cord was cut down and pegged and he was weighed, clothed, and put in a bassinette.  I should have been exhausted but was feeling a rush.  I sent emails to my parents to try to make sure they were the first to know.  (His name is a family name from my side of the family.)  My husband phoned his family.  I tweeted and fbed and generally was a jubilant freak.  Sparky was ALIVE and on the outside!

Categories: Ovum Donor Pregnancy
  1. 16/08/2011 at 10:09 pm

    thank you for sharing your story!
    I am so happy all went so well 🙂

  2. 16/08/2011 at 11:15 pm

    Congrats! Thanks for sharing the story.

    I wonder what these docs think of us infertiles- being glad the baby is alive. Well poo on them! We are just so grateful!

  3. 17/08/2011 at 2:20 am

    what an marvelous story! 🙂 so glad you posted it!!

  4. Natalie
    17/08/2011 at 3:43 am

    Congratulations! He is beautiful and the birth sounds perfect. Enjoy your time with the new little guy.

  5. a
    17/08/2011 at 4:38 am

    That doesn’t sound horrible, but I suspect you’re glossing over the rough parts. Big surprise that you were asking if he were alive. How’s the anxiety level now? Gone or just different?

    • 17/08/2011 at 6:01 pm

      The birth wasn’t that bad, actually. To be honest I’d give birth twice if it meant breastfeeding was all sorted and settled. Or three times!!!

      Anxiety is different – but not as intense as I feared it would be. Maybe because I’m just so tired.

  6. stillaguestroom
    17/08/2011 at 6:29 am

    Thanks for sharing your story! So excited for you!

  7. 17/08/2011 at 10:42 pm

    i love this disa, but when do you find the time to write so much! you must have a good little on your hands, i really love his name x anne

  8. 17/08/2011 at 11:33 pm

    Great birth story, thank you for sharing.

  9. 18/08/2011 at 4:07 am

    Thank you for sharing your birth story. So sorry to hear that breastfeeding is so difficult. You do whatever you need to do to make it through the day.

  10. The Crazy Cat Woman
    18/08/2011 at 12:06 pm

    THANKYOU for posting this Disa. It is really interesting and helpful to read a recent first hand account of labour with my own due date approaching.

    • 18/08/2011 at 6:22 pm

      I think I was quite lucky, but I’m happy to chat more about it if it helps! Labour was different from what I thought it would be as portrayed on TV and movies. Most of it is while you’re having contractions and dilating – and for me at least was better if I was moving around, changing position, etc. I rented a TENS machine, which I think helped a lot. Water – in the bath or shower – also helped a lot. But being able to move around really helped get me through it.

  11. 19/08/2011 at 2:36 pm

    Ahhhhh congratulations!!!!!!

    You know, I’ve got my infertility blogs and my “beaten infertility because I’m pregnant now” blogs, but I think you’re the first one to transcend into “and now my baby is here” 😀

  12. 21/08/2011 at 4:27 pm

    Oh my goodness, I am so sorry I missed this! Congratulations, D, Sparky is so beautiful. 🙂 Love the photos with Scott and Lottie too. 🙂

  13. 26/08/2011 at 6:06 am

    Wonderful birth story! 🙂

  14. 31/08/2011 at 5:58 am

    Congrats, thanks for the read about your special little boy. On a good day (my wedding anniversary). Sorry for delay in commenting, have been away.
    FG xxx

  15. jen
    31/08/2011 at 12:49 pm

    So so glad that he is safely here! 😀

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s